POST 6 - Post graduate studies

 Hello people :)

This is our last entry for the present term. I really enjoyed it and loved having this time with you all, reading and sharing about your experiences and learning from one another. On this occasion, we will be writing about studies interests. To do this, you need to start dreaming and pushing yourselves further. Study could be a little tedious, the reward however, definitely could be gratifying.

Please, write about a postgraduate course that you would consider taking in the future. Include in your entry:
- Reasons to do the course.
- Subject(s) you would like to study.
- Where you would like to study (Chile or abroad).
- How you would like to study (distance learning, blended system, part-time course, etc).
- Any other relevant ideas.

Features for the post:
Number of words: 150 to 160, font: Arial, Calibri or Verdana, size 11 – 12.
You need to include photographs, videos, etc.
Do not forget to make comments on three of your classmates’ posts + a comment on your teacher’s post as well (you have 36 hours to do so).

 

My postgraduate studies

As a language teacher, I wanted to do something related to 'how humans do learn a language'. Specifically, how do we learn a second language, after we have learnt our first one or our mother tongue. In Chile, most people are going under this process as they are learning English as a second language. 


So, I studied TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) in England. I went to study to one of the best universities on this field in the country and in the world. I learnt how a person learns/acquires a language, how the process of learning is activated in the brain. Also studied 'the cultural backgrounds' and what do people (us) understand for language.

Some of the subjects include Sociolinguistics, where I learnt how a language is pictured within a society. English grammar, where I learnt that a language hides more than simple grammar rules, but complex ways to arrange ideas. World Englishes, where I leant that English is been shaped according to the people’s uses across the globe.

Lessons began in a room full of students from 30 different countries. Most of them used English as a second language. Some as a first, but most astonishing to me, was the fact that many used it as a third or even a fourth language! I learnt about their experiences to become a language user and a teacher later on. 
 
I read about the latest ideas and discussions on language and education, English language history, English language evolution and language teaching and attended many conferences with the ultimate speakers in the area.
  
Taking a postgrad was a life-changing experience! 
 
 


 

Comments

  1. Uf yesterday I put a comment here and now there isn't any comment here. Well doesn't matter. Congrats to you teacher, you studie what you love and you are a really good english teacher. Your clases are really funny and interactives, I have a good time learning english with you.
    See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello teacher!
    It is very interesting what you count, it is something very important to know to learn languages. How great that you were able to study in another country and learn in greater depth everything you wanted. I read what you count and it makes me really want to learn things related to what I study and specialize.

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello teacher! I think that it was an incredible experience, i can't imagine a group of students from 30 different countries! I sometimes want the same, to study what i like the most in Europe! Maybe in the future i will have a similar experience (i hope so)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello teacher! what an incredible experience you had, congratulations, sociolinguistics sounds very interesting. I hope to have those opportunities in the future outside the country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi teacher, language is a unique tool and it would be a very different world if we only had one language. I think that with this online course we lost a little bit of the language because we couldn't see each other. What do you think about this?

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Teacher.

    I consider it really interesting the postgraduate that you did. All the themes in relation to the language are really interesting. I ask myself the question of how knowing other languages affects the brain. I’ve heard that the brain becomes more agile in the rational operations that it does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi teacher ! I think the experience that you share with us is very interesting, a lot of people of different cultures and languages learning together, I think it´s a good way of learning many things, not only the language, I would like to live an experience like that!
    Have a good day:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. hi teacher, how are you?
      it's nice to read you. this post inspired me because I would like to travel and study something else. I find it very exciting to meet other countries and people, different places. thanks for sharing, have a wonderful week. <333

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post 2 - Why Did You Choose This Career/Study Programme? (Dreamed job)

BLOG 1 - My Auto Biography: Who am I?

Post 4 - Themed Post